The best bus ever

The best bus ever
Jason Sievers' awesome Art in Transit bus

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Denver gets on board with transit


I have been in Denver, where they are building light rail routes all over the place, for most of the past week. I didn't take advantage of the rail bonanza, but I did ride a city bus from my hinterlands hotel to downtown Denver (for $1.75 each way, as opposed to about $20 in a taxi). Once there, I took several hops on the shuttles that run every five minutes up and down the city's 16th Street Pedestrian Mall. You can read more about the shuttle and see some of the sights along or near its route at this website.

If you plan a Denver visit, be sure to hook up with Denver History Tours. I took what was technically a "Golddust and Traildust" tour on Sunday, but since there were only four of us along for the walk, our guide Shawn - who is both a historian and urban planner - seemed only too happy to oblige my many requests for info on Denver's evolving infill, urban redevelopment, and transit scenes.

1 comment:

Aaron Antrim said...

Did you notice Denver is on Google Transit? More info here: http://www.livablestreets.com/streetswiki/google-transit

I think it could be useful for Boise. I've helped some agencies take advantage of it, and I am a dedicated advocate of easier-to-use information, online and offline, for transit.